Last week, my colleagues and I had published a list of demands for the gaming industry, which was met with a violent and unsavory reaction by gamers themselves.
I figured that we could go over reasons behind the list, as well as some extra reasons on why the gaming community is currently extremely toxic, and what we can do to improve it.
Violence & Negative Impact of Children
- An adult’s brain is not fully developed until the age of 25. (And it shows within the gaming community)
Gaming produces the same chemical, Adrenaline which is the same chemical that is produced while committing murder.
- 83.4% of mass shooters were avid video game players. (see point above)
- M-rated games are advertised primarily to children, and by majority, played by those younger than 18.
- Time spent playing video games and IQ is negatively correlated.
- Teen gamers frequently score lower grades than their peers that do not play video games.
Gamers refuse to believe that they are ever wrong, which is amplified by teen angst.
- Parents have to destroy gaming consoles to end their children’s addiction (see a few of hundreds of videos on YouTube below)
- Video games often frustrate and anger their players, causing them to break controllers, TVs, and punch anything nearby; such as walls, women, and pets.
- Gamers spend extreme amounts of money on consoles and hardware for video games, which could be donated to worthy causes like charities or Joe Biden’s campaign fund.
Son forced to destroy gaming console after given 3 weeks to bring grades up.
Misogyny & Racism
- Few game developers make an effort to stop racism and sexism in their communities.
- Gamergate is responsible for today’s rampant online racism and sexism.
- A link between video games and racism has been established by scientist
- Game developers are majority cishet white males.
- Games such as GTA, and Watch Dogs, and Skyrim normalize murder, theft, and other horrible crimes that make players (especially children) numb to the experience and morally corrupt. For more examples, please see our articles on Animal Crossing, Mario and Minecraft.
- Men bully women out of the gaming communities, both in development and games themselves.
- Minority groups are made a specific target to gamer rage.Male gamers often sexualize, shame, and berate female video game streamers like Alinity, Kaceyton, and Pokimane.
- Gamers frequently use slurs, such as the n-word in online discourse, to the point where the n-word is now known as “The Gamer word”.
- BIPOC and the JLGBT+ communities have faced systemic oppression and institutional racism, causing entire minorities to end up in poverty, discounts for POC and the JLGBT+ communities would promote a more diverse and inclusive community.
- Gamers are majority alt-right, idolizing Hitler, and voting republican without properly researching the candidates.
- There is an online community which promotes which supremacy, and Nazism, featured in our article about the “PCMR”.
- Discord, a social-media platform is used typically to radicalize gaming youth into racism and sometimes full Nazism.
(We journalists have taken Discord head-on to the front lines to confront the Discord gamer community to change it for the better)
Beezfud has created a list of journalist approved video games that promotes inclusivity and powerful JLGBT+ characters.
We highly recommend checking out the list and learning what makes those games so great!
For more centrist gaming news, please check out Inclusive Gamers!
Please open your eyes and become less toxic, free yourself from the violence, racism, homophobia, misogyny, and the vaguely bigoted gaming culture.